Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Courage to Teach



I've been reading this book for class. I don't have a lot to say about it at the moment except to say that it is a book that I highly recommend that anyone interested in teaching, preaching, or ministry read. For me, it really draws out the important of healing ministry for those going into teaching ministry. "We teach who we are," is the foundational concept. Palmer talks about being driven by fear and the negative impact that has on teaching. Ultimately, teachers and ministers need to take their brokenness to Jesus at the cross so that He can heal them. Then, and only then, will they be able to teach fully and effectively.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the book except for the concept of truth as emerging from community. Would modify that to say that truth is transcendent over and within community. Communities can be quite fickle and at times heretical. Palmer's list of paradoxes in the teaching-learning process are worth the book!
Cheryl

Johnmark said...

I agree. He's view of truth being something that is constantly evolving is problematic. I appreciate that our understanding is constantly growing, but truth itself doesn't change. He doesn't want to be a relativist but also clearly doesn't want to be an absolutist. Which is a very unclear place to be.